Manga vs Traditional Novels

Firstly, I could find no comments on this on the net - perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough, but I found that interesting.

This topic has been on my mind for the last couple of weeks. When I realized I wanted to read manga more than a traditional book, and I started to wonder at why that was. Why I was desperate, hungering to read manga stories -- so that I zoomed through them ?  I don't do this with books. I might have done that with maybe 2 books in my life. But now I'm eagerly waiting for weeks (in some cases months) to pass so that I can read the latest manga that I'm into.
I consider myself a writer, so I should be biased towards books. This doesn't seem to be the case. Even though I do write and I'm getting better at crafting a story, and studying them too, I desire these manga stories. It makes me wonder how much they are influencing my stories and my style. I realize how important dialogue is. Reading manga also makes me appreciate every word and detail - these facial details are poignant in the story. These types of details are difficult to convey in writing - the subtle glance of the eye - and just the atmosphere.

I must offer some arguement for the written book though. Ha! So in it's defence, and what I do enjoy in writing stories, is description, mainly of scenery. Painting the atmosphere through poetic prose can be exhiliarting for the author, and if done well, enjoyable for the reader. It is something I like in a written book, and maybe why I don't like commercial fiction that much. Another apsect of the traditional novel, is the depth you can create through character pov. Again done well, it can be magic to connecting with the characters, and carrying them with you for all time. It is what all writers endeavour to do.

Another thing I've grown to love in manga - and which I wish I could do in my own stories - is this switching between povs. Any character at any time in the scene might have a thought bubble. It's informative and increases the readers knowledge of the character. This is a big no no in writing. And that is understandable because there is no visuals in writing to let the reader know there has been a switch. But I do like it in manga!

Also, I'm a visual person -- I retain information best through visualization. I can remember manga stories better than a book. I've forgotten book stories. The exception is those books I've read through a number of times, otherwise the story has been lost to me. I read Robert Jordan's books (only 5) and can't for the life of me remember what they are about! how crazy. Yet manga stories seem to live in my mind - I can even remember the pictures - the dialogue word for word. Because I SEE it. I live it like a little picture movie.

This is why I think many people would read more often if they read manga. Apparently manga is extremely popular in Japan. (Of course that's where it comes from) but all ages read it of all types of genres, for which there are countless ones.  If there is someone who doesn't read books alot it might be because they should be reading visual/graphic books - they might really enjoy them.

Summary;  manga is not respected enough in literary circles (and is actually put down) - and should be viewed on the same level as books. They are well worth reading. The stories can not be matched by any book. imo

I'm hooked on manga -- and don't know if I'll ever have the same burning desire for book stories.

Category: ,  
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
0 Responses
Leave a Reply